Thunderbird is a cross-platform and open-source email client. It actually supports SMTP, POP and IMAP protocols along with providing huge functionality for email management, events and calendars to the users. One of the great features of Thunderbird that it can be set up to perform flawlessly with Google’s Gmail, synchronizing messages between the Thunderbird local version and your web-based Gmail account. Here is how to access Gmail via Thunderbird on your system.
In this guide, we will discuss the procedure for Gmail Thunderbird Setup and their configuration settings. For Thunderbird to integrate completely with Gmail, the first and foremost step is to enable IMAP on your Gmail account. Firstly, check if you have an older Gmail account because on the newer Gmail account the IMAP is enabled by default.
• On your computer, open Gmail
• In the top right, select Settings (that displays on the top right corner as Gear icon)
• Now, select Settings again
• Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
• In the IMAP Access section, choose Enable IMAP
• Now, select Save Changes
You can also set up your Google apps account by following the below-given step:
• First of all, sign in to Gmail or your Google apps account
• Click on “Settings” provided at the top right
• Now, open the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab. Choose “Enable IMAP” option
• Then, click on “Save Changes”
• Download Mozilla Thunderbird and then, install it on your computer
• Open it and go to the Tools > Account Settings
• Then, under “Account Actions” drop-down, appears at the bottom left, select “Add mail account”
• Now, enter your name in the given box and provide your email address and password in the given field and click on the “Continue” button
Thunderbird automatically will try to configure your settings for your mail account. While checking I found that Thunderbird automatically finds the settings for the Gmail account, well it is unable to get the settings for Google apps account.
• To fill the correct setting manually, click on “Stop option that is given on the right”
• Now, click on the “Manual Setup” option to fill the settings
• Now, enter the settings manually and click in Outgoing Server that given on the left pane.
• Select the smtp.gmail.com from the list and click on the “Edit” button. A small SMTP Server window will now appear.
• On the left pane, click on the first option, i.e. name of your email id. On the right side, enter your email address in the “Account name” field. On the Outgoing Server drop-down, select the server setting which you configured on the previous step and click on Ok
Now, all is done and click on Read Message link on the right and Thunderbird will now check all the settings and download all your email quickly.
After the Setup of Gmail in Thunderbird, you will need to organize the Gmail Folders in it:
In the IMAP implementation used by Gmail, Gmail labels become Thunderbird folders. So when you label a message in Gmail then, the Thunderbird creates a folder with that label and storing the message in that folder
By default, all Gmail folders that you already set up are shown in the Thunderbird. If you want to select that Gmail folder to display in Thunderbird, it is convenient and easy to configure your folder display
• In the Thunderbird, go to the File menu and then select Subscribe
• Now, uncheck any folders that you don’t want to show in the Thunderbird
• The un-checked folders do not display in the Thunderbird
By following the given configuration and setup procedures, you can easily gain the advantages of Thunderbird. Ask here for any query from Gmail Support Number UK for instant help from the expert teams. The teams are highly experienced and known for their friendly support. They are available 24x7 to help you in any manner they can.